How to uninstall etcher?- Etcher is a great application for writing image files to SD card or USB drives. But just like all the other applications, maybe you are facing a few bugs and errors, or you want to reinstall after removing it or there might be some issues while using the application.
Whether you no longer require the services of the Etcher application or are facing some errors while writing image files, the uninstallation of this application is pretty simple. Below, we have discussed the uninstallation process in detail for different operating systems.
How to Uninstall Etcher on Windows OS?
Method 1- (Using Uninstaller)
- Right click on the Etcher app icon and click on Open File Location.
- Run “Uninstall Etcher.exe” file in the folder.
- Etcher will be uninstalled.
Method 2- (Using Control Panel)
- Open Control Panel and search for “Uninstall a program”.
- Click on it and you will see the Etcher application in the list.
- Right click on it and select Uninstall. It will be uninstalled.
Method 3- (Using Third Party Software)
- Download and install any external/third party uninstaller.
- Choose Etcher from the uninstaller list and the software will remove it completely.
For any further confusion, here is a visual guide for the same steps you can follow to uninstall the application completely.
How to Uninstall Etcher on MacOS?
- Quit the application and launch Finder.
- Locate the Etcher application and right click on it.
- Click Move to Trash and confirm the action by entering the admin password if prompted.
- Left click on Finder on the top menu bar and select Empty Trash.
- Etcher is successfully removed from Mac!
- Download an uninstaller like Osx Uninstaller.
- Run the uninstaller and choose Etcher from the list to remove the Etcher files from Mac.
How to Uninstall Etcher on Linux?
- Close the Etcher application and open the Terminal window.
- Enter the following commands-
sudo apt-get remove etcher
sudo apt-get purge etcher
- Enter the computer’s password if prompted. The uninstallation will be finished.
- Open the Terminal window and type the following command.
sudo apt-get install synaptic
- Press “Y” if prompted.
- Search for Synaptic Package Manager on your system and open the software.
- Search etcher in the search bar and right click on Etcher.
- Select “Mark for Complete Removal” and click on Apply. It will be uninstalled.
If you are facing any issues, you can search for Etcher in the library files and can remove them. The best solution is to restart your computer and then try it again. This is to close any instance of the software running in the background, which might avoid the uninstallation.
How to Uninstall Etcher on Raspberry Pi!
How to Uninstall Etcher on UBUNTU?
Here’s the common way to remove any UBUNTU software from your personal computer-
- Click on the Ubuntu Software icon in your dock, either you can also search for the software in the “Activities search bar”.
- Once the software is open, click on the “Installed” button, you can find the same at the top.
- Find the application that you want to remove by using the search box or by looking through the list of installed applications.
- Select the application and click on “remove”.
- The usual pop icon of confirm, please confirm your uninstall.
- You will be asked to authenticate by entering your password. Once done, the application will be removed.
If you are struggling to completely remove the standalone app, any way, try this:
If you click “yes” to that message, a file called
appimagekit-Etcher.desktop (or similar) is created in the following location:
In order to remove Etcher completely, you have to remove the “etcher.AppImage file”, with that it is necessary to remove this “.desktop” file. For this, run the command:
NOTE: Replace the actual name of your home directory. -Optionally, you can remove only this file if you just want to see the message again.-
- Question: How to solve Windows cannot find ‘C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Programs\balena-etcher\UninstallbalenaEtcher.exe’ error?
Answer: It is generally because of the version mismatch. Download and install the latest version of Etcher first and then run the uninstaller to remove all the versions.
- Question: I still see some Etcher files in my Ubuntu. How to remove Etcher completely?
Answer: You need to delete the setup and desktop files. Check for etcher file name in the following directory – /home/<username>/.local/share/applications/. Run this command by replacing your username and replacing “appimagekit-Etcher.desktop” with the name of the file you found in the directory.
If you are facing any issue even now, you can drop me a comment from the tab below and I will look into in detail inspect the situation, the error or bug and try to answer your query in 48 hours. Also, If you think we can add more information to help more brothers and sisters out, Shoot me up!