MacOS is Apple’s popular operating system that is ruling the industry after Windows. Because Windows is Windows and no one can beat it. However, many users want to try out MacOS and switching to this OS doesn’t mean that you have to go out and buy an expensive Mac!
You can create a bootable pen drive/SD card and can burn the MacOS image files in it to install it on any computer. That being said, how to install MacOS using a bootable USB drive/SD card? Etcher is your true companion to get the process done.
What exactly is Etcher? It is an image writing application/utility that works well on Windows, Linux, and MacOS. A user-friendly interface and fast flash speed with high success rate, Etcher is surely the best tool that you can use to burn MacOS. Let’s check out the complete guide to download and install Etcher and then we will see how to install MacOS using Etcher!
Here's what you will know:
How to Download and Install Etcher?
As we mentioned before, Etcher is available on different platforms, you can download and install on
- Download Etcher for Windows.
- Double click the downloaded file and click on “Agree”.
- The installation will finish and Etcher software will load.
- Download the Linux version of Etcher software.
- Open Terminal Window and type in the following commands.
chmod a+x Etcher-linux-x64.AppImage
- Your software is ready to run!
- Download the MacOS version of Etcher software.
- Drag the downloaded file from Downloads folder to Applications folder.
- After the installation, Etcher will load.
How to Install MacOS Using Etcher?
- Download the MacOS official image file.
- Run Etcher and click “Flash from file”.
- Choose the MacOS image file that you downloaded and select it.
- Insert the USB drive or SD card to your computer.
- Now, click on “Select target” and choose the SD card/USB drive on which you want to burn the image file.
- Click on Flash! Etcher will verify the integrity of the image file and will start burning after successful validation. You will see the status and estimated time remaining on the screen.
- Once it is done, you will see a “Flash complete” message.
- Close Etcher and eject your USB drive or SD card.
- Connect it to the computer on which you want to install MacOS.
- Start the computer and press the boot key like F10, F12, etc. It can be different depending on your computer’s model.
- From the boot menu, select the USB drive and hit enter.
- MacOS installation setup will begin.
- Choose the language and click on Install MacOS.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and proceed with the installation.
- After a few steps, MacOS will be successfully installed on your computer.
- You can then eject your USB drive or SD card and can format it.
NOTE: Make sure that you don’t eject the USB drive or SD card while MacOS is installing. Remove it only after restarting your computer after a successful installation.
That is how you easily and quickly install MacOS on any computer. Make the bootable USB drive using Etcher and install MacOS quickly without failure. Happy flashing! Happy booting! Happy installing!